Self Employed? Get Some Help!

Being your own boss can involve long and unpredictable hours so it’s important to be able to communicate with your child’s other parent in order that you can make arrangements that suit you and your child.

Irregular hours can make it harder to make arrangements that suit everyone.  This goes with the territory in self employment but it’s important to focus on what’s best for the children.  A maintenance arrangement doesn’t need to be just based on money, it could include childcare too.

A changeable income may mean that a family based arrangement could be the best way forward as it allows you to agree some financial flexibility with the other parent and to change the amount and frequency of payments as long as you both agree. It’s important to keep a record of payments made.  You can download a Family Based Arrangement Form to help you both agree the details and set them out so that it is clear for everyone.

It’s good to talk and it’s even more important to communicate when things are always changing…..

Conversations with your ex about this sort of thing can be tricky. Help is available via the CMOptions website, where you can find a number of tools and guides that can help:

  • Download the discussion guide to help you talk to your ex partner about arrangements for the children.
  • Use the maintenance calculator to help you come to an agreement over the amount of maintenance to pay.
  • Work out the cost of raising your child using the online tool, which could help you both in any discussion.
  • Use the budget planner to help you keep things on track financially as your income changes.

Got a question? If you feel it would be easier to contact one of our trained consultants directly you could do so online via Live Chat or by email.

You can also call on 0800 988 0988 from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 4pm on Saturday.


This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Self Employed? Get Some Help!

  1. Lorraine says:

    If he is fixing cars and family is taking care o him will he pay for the maintanance.he doesnt want to work because he said i will take him to maintanance,i cant work cause i have a problem medical condition,help my child he’s in school,he needs lots of thinks

    • cmoptions says:

      Thanks for your question Lorraine. It sounds like you’re having a tough time at the moment. If your child’s other parent is self-employed, has a low income, or is on benefits, he should still contribute in some way to the cost of raising his child.

      If possible, explain to him that if you used the Child Maintenance Service to arrange child maintenance, he would probably have to pay – even if he is on benefits. As a last resort, you can speak to us about applying to the Child Maintenance Service. But most people find that sorting things out themselves is easier and more flexible in the long run. It may help you to take a look at our information on how much child maintenance should be paid. If you need more help with this, please give us a call on 0800 988 0988.

      I hope this answer helps you.

Leave a Reply to Lorraine Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s